Gas Leak Caused House Explosion

A natural gas leak has been determined as the cause of a house explosion in Ripley, New York, Monday morning.

The Chautauqua County Fire Investigation Team says there was a gas line break in December at the house on Lakeview Avenue that had been repaired. But over the course of the past several months the ground where the repair was made had settled, causing the repaired section to break loose, which then caused an underground gas leak. The ground became saturated with natural gas that then leaked into the basement of the house. Once the air mixture in the basement got to a volatile state, it ignited from the pilot light on the hot water tank, which caused the explosion.

No one was home when the house exploded. Six fire departments battled the resulting fire.

The news leader of the Twin Tiers ... since 1947

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Host of WESB Show
Passes Away at Age 97

Casey Statement on VAWA Passage

Cuomo Signs New Gun Laws