Scarnati on Re-Election

By ANNE HOLLIDAY
WESB/WBRR News Director


State Senator Joe Scarnati says he believes that during his years in Harrisburg he's been responsive and accessible to his constituents – and he'll continue that if he's re-elected for a third term in November.

"I know the plight of the people in my district," he said. "It's tougher every day for a family, or a working single mom or an elderly couple to make ends meet."

In that vast state budget, and all the programs out there, I do my best every day to bring that back to my district and make sure that we're getting our fair share of the tax dollars," he said.

For example, when Governor Ed Rendell proposed giving the majority of the education budget to Philadelphia-area schools, Scarnati fought to have the funding doled out more equitably.

"I pledged to my school districts here that I was going to do better for them, and actually doubled the funding the governor proposed, and that means no tax increases here … And I think that's so important, to make sure we're keeping our funding levels out of state dollars adequate."

"That's something I've never been shy about doing," he added, "and that's bringing the money back to my district."

He asks people in his district to look at his record.

"I always worked hard in my district … and I've brought back the issues that have been important to the people who live here," Scarnati said.

"I've never forgotten where I come from," he added. "I remember my grandfather always saying 'Don't ever forget where you come from because someday you have to go back,' and I want to come back."

"I spend a lot of time at home," he said, "not in Harrisburg. This is where it's at."

He did say it's hard to believe he's running for his third term in the state senate.

"Eight years have gone by very quickly and I've been blessed and honored by my constituents to re-elect me … and honored by my colleagues to put me in a post of some significance in the Commonwealth and bring our rural perspective to some upper levels of consideration in Harrisburg."

"I don't have any plans to turn gray in the Senate," he said, laughing. "I don’t intend on being a lifelong legislator as some have done. I think there's a time when it's good to move on."

"I'd like to serve at least another term at this point, and continue the services I provide," Scarnati said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges