Scarnati Pleased with Toll Decision

Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati is pleased with the anticipation that the Federal Highway Administration will deny Pennsylvania’s request to toll Interstate 80.

“As I have stated time and time again, I opposed the tolling of I-80 and now that the federal government has denied the request, we can focus on a more business-like plan to fund our transportation needs,” Scarnati stated. “In fact, over the course of the next several weeks it is my hope that there will be further debate on how to address this transportation crisis.”

Scarnati also mentioned that he believes his fiscally prudent transportation funding plan, which he introduced several months ago, will receive favorable approval from many of the members in the General Assembly.

“Governing is about making difficult decisions, and the plan I introduced makes the General Assembly and the Governor prioritize its needs within existing budgetary revenues,” Scarnati added. “One aspect of my plan looks to have already been realized with the elimination of tolls along I-80.”

“I think by the federal government’s denying the tolling of I-80 gives legislators and the Governor the ability to now take a step back and thoughtfully, deliberately bring about a plan that is effective and fair to all citizens across Pennsylvania,” Scarnati concluded. “This success is about local groups and state officials working together to let the Federal Highway Administration know that tolling the Interstate was not in the best interest of the Commonwealth.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges