DeWeese Statement on Allegations

House Majority Leader Bill DeWeese released the following statement following allegations that he knew about illegal bonuses being paid to legislative aides.


"This matter is before the courts. Normally, I would not comment, but because of the seriousness of this situation, let me say this:

"Mike Manzo's speculation that I knew about his criminal acts is absolutely false and there is no evidence to support his opinion. In fact, the grand jury described in detail the steps that those now charged took to keep their scheme secret.

"Manzo is a desperate, disgruntled former employee whom I fired last year for dishonesty and self-dealing. At the time that I fired him and with witnesses in the room, he apologized for letting me down.

"Now he and his wife are confronted with serious criminal charges and long prison sentences, and he is telling a story that conflicts with the evidence and findings of a yearlong grand jury investigation.

"He has lied to his wife, to his girlfriend, to investigators and to me. His motives are suspect and his opinions are just not credible.

"Early in 2007, in the presence of numerous witnesses, he twice told law enforcement that I had nothing to do with it. He has since told several people inside our caucus that I had nothing to do with it.

"Now, he and his wife are criminal defendants facing lengthy prison sentences and he is changing his story. I knew on the day I fired him there was a risk that he would retaliate against me with false charges but I fired him because it was the right thing to do."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges