Senators Try to Raise Awareness
About Domestic Violence

Pennsylvania needs to build on successful efforts to prevent domestic violence and to make the public aware of the signs of abuse, according to Sen. Jane Orie, Majority Whip (R-40), who today led a rally at the state capitol to focus greater attention on the issue.

Orie joined legislators, health care professionals, law enforcement officials and domestic violence organizations across the state to mark October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month in Pennsylvania.

The numerous elected officials and organizations who participated in the event today did so to focus public attention on a crime that often goes undetected and unreported.

Orie is Senate sponsor of a resolution setting the month of October as "Domestic Violence Awareness Month in Pennsylvania."

The senator has been a leader in state efforts to prevent domestic abuse and provide more protections to victims. She is author of the "Domestic Violence Heath Care Response Act" – which makes Pennsylvania the first state in the nation to establish universal screening in selected hospitals.

"We a need to continue to shine the light on this terrible crime – to raise awareness and provide victims with the help and support they need to break the cycle of abuse," Orie said.

Senator Le Anna Washington speaks about domestic violence from personal experience. In 1972 she left an abusive relationship that had her fearing for her safety and the safety of her children.

"I remember locking myself and my children in a room when he came home, and coming out only after we heard the truck go down the street," Washington said. "I remember them seeing me with black eyes and my ribs taped because I had broken ribs. And I also remember saying 'I don't want to leave because I don't work. I don't want to leave because he takes care of me. I don't want to leave because he's my children's father.'"

Her message now is that women should not be afraid to leave an abusive relationship. They need to say "enough is enough" and leave, no matter how difficult they think it will make their lives.

"A black eye does not mean that 'I love you,'" Washington said. "And a broken arm definitely does not mean that 'I'm sorry.'"

Nancy Chestnut of the YWCA Victim's Resource Center is my guest on next Tuesday's LiveLine on WESB, and we'll be talking about domestic violence then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges