GT Thompson Retains Congressional Seat

Reed Wins Re-Election Bid in NY

Incumbent 5th District Congressman Glenn GT Thompson appears to have retained his seat.

Even in the heavily Democratic Elk County the Republican Thompson beat his opponent Charles Dumas by a margin of 64 percent to 36 percent.

The race was closest in Centre County – the home county of both men. Thompson garnered 58 percent of the vote there, while Dumas got 42 percent.

“My wife Penny and I would like to thank everyone; the volunteers, our family and friends, and the voters of the 5th District of Pennsylvania for making this campaign a success," Thomas said in a news release. "I am also thankful of Charles Dumas for his civility throughout the race. While we disagree on many things, the level of decorum has allowed for the issues to be presented and debated openly. I wish he and his family all the best," said Thompson, upon learning of the win.

"While we celebrate a victory this evening, the work does not stop here. Earning the privilege to continue serving the citizens of Pennsylvania's 5th Congressional District is a responsibility I have not taken lightly. I look forward to the challenge of working to improve the lives of each community within the district and welcome the residents of the new counties that the 5th District will include: Erie and Huntingdon," added Thompson.

"It continues to be my goal to restore confidence to small businesses, in order to produce economic growth and opportunity for others. I will continue my work to provide relief to American families from record-high gas prices that have been strangling their budgets. Our fiscal house must be put back in order and I will not stop in my work to prevent further escalation of debt that compromises our children's futures," concluded Thompson.

Republican Tom Reed won the race in New York State’s 23rd Congressional district. Reed beat Democrat Nate Shinagawa by 10,000 votes.

The news leader of the Twin Tiers ... since 1947

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges