Tips for Pheasant Hunting

By Jane H Bryndel

We are in the middle of pheasant season and I hope you are finding time between high temperatures and super storms to get out in the field. We still have a few more bird stockings on our local game lands. Here are some tips and thoughts I had on this fall's hunting season:

1. Don't overwork your dog. Give them plenty of time to recover and rest between hunting trips. Most dog owners I talk with don't feed their dog before they run but after. This will help keep the dog from overheating and cramping up. It's too late now but I hope you kept you and your dog in good physical shape in the off season. Always carry water for you and the dog. I like to hunt from pond to pond to be sure the dogs can drink and cool off if needed.

2. Tailgate check your dog after the hunt. I put the dogs in the truck and run my hands over them. It's important to pay attention to the eyes, nose, between the toes – even the ear canal and mouth. Putting your hands on the dog is a good way to locate a sore spot, even a burr or tick, for that matter.

3. Don't throw out the legs! Check our local web site for a soup recipe from Pheasants Forever that looks good and easy. Personally, I cook up the thighs for the dogs - they deserve it! Respect the hunters that will follow you and don't clean your birds in the parking lot. I've seen a lot of feathers in the parking areas and it's a big mess. Please cleanup after yourself and leave a better impression for non-hunters.

4. Take a youth hunting. I get tired of carrying a heavy gun in the field since my main goal is to work with the dogs. Take a kid hunting and you can concentrate on the dog while teaching a worthwhile, lifelong skill to the hunters of tomorrow.

5. Here are some good tips for a safe hunt -

a) Treat every gun as if it were loaded
b) Always keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction
c) Know your target and beyond

6. The following is the Pheasants Forever's Code - As a member of Pheasants Forever, I believe in conserving wildlife and protecting the environment. I promise to leave the outdoors a little better than I found it. I will hunt safely and treat hunting on public and private land as a privilege. I will always ask permission before hunting private land.

Have a safe and productive hunting season!

The next meeting of local Pheasants Forever Chapter 630 is, Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM at the Capital City fire hall on Front Street in Ridgway, PA. Visit our web site at http://www.northcentralpa.pheasantsforever.org/ for meeting dates, hunting information, recipes, officers contacts and more.

The news leader of the Twin Tiers ... since 1947

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges