Charges Filed After Center Street Fire

The South Center Street woman whose apartment was damaged by fire late last month is now facing charges for leaving the apartment while her four-year-old daughter was sleeping.

32-year-old Susan Hassek is charged with endangering the welfare of children and recklessly endangering another person. The little girl, who was rescued from the fire by a neighbor, was not hurt.

State Police fire marshal Greg Agosti says an electric burner on a stove was on for a significant amount of time while unattended, and that a pan on the burner melted. The fire spread from the cook top to the adjacent cabinets and wall behind the stove, before completely consuming the kitchen.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental but police say Hassek’s actions “placed the child in danger of death or serious injury.” The charges have been filed in District Judge Dominic Cercone’s office, but she has not had a hearing yet. The Bradford City Fire Department and McKean County District Attorney assisted in the investigation.

The September 20 fire left Hassek, her daughter and four boys, ages 7 through 1, homeless. The apartment is owned by the Bradford City Housing Authority. Hassek did not have renters insurance.

The news leader of the Twin Tiers ... since 1947


Popular posts from this blog

Indie Film Series Starts Sept. 18

Casey Statement on VAWA Passage

Cuomo Signs New Gun Laws