The 1490 NewsBlog

powered by NewsRadio 1490 WESB

brought to you, in part, by


http://www.colememorial.org

Friday, April 18, 2014

Fatal Fire in Chautauqua County

UPDATE: The victim is a 93-year-old man.

A person died in a house fire Thursday night in the Chautauqua County Town of Ellicott.

Sheriff’s deputies, who have not identified the person yet, say a “male subject” was pronounced dead at the scene by Coroner John Sixbey. He believes the victim died of smoke inhalation.

The fire started when an electrical wire had been compromised in a crawl space under the kitchen. The wire shorted out, causing the floor joist to ignite and spread to the rest of the house.

The death and the fire have been ruled accidental.

About a dozen fire companies were on the scene for more than seven hours.

The news leader of the Twin Tiers ... since 1947

No comments: