Today's LiveLine with Author Chris Bohjalian

I don't think it would be possible for me to like "Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands" more than I do.

A reactor at a nuclear power plant in Vermont has exploded, killing Bill and Mira Shepherd, leaving their teenage daughter Emily an orphan. What's worse is that the townspeople -- and eventually everyone else -- are blaming Bill for the catastrophe. It doesn't take long for Emily to decide she can't let people know who she is because she would be a pariah-by-association. She becomes a street kid, with everything you would imagine that entails.

At one point she meets a 9-year-old homeless boy and becomes somewhat of a surrogate mother to him.

The rest of the story deals with how Emily decides to get on with her life, and I don't want to give any of that away.

I should also add that this book is so compelling that I read it in one day.

You can listen to my talk with Chris Bohjalian here.

The news leader of the Twin Tiers ... since 1947

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Two Arrested on Drug Charges