Review: Every Last Lie

Every Last Lie Every Last Lie by Mary Kubica
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book kept my interest, but I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I suppose it could be called a character study on what grief can do to a person. It also shows what can happen if you have a few secrets that are uncovered and you never get a chance to explain.

The story starts with young dentist Nick dying in a car crash, leaving behind his wife Clara and their children, 4-year-old Maisie and 4-day-old Felix. Shortly after the crash Maisie starts have nightmares, talks about a "bad man" who was following her and Nick on the day of the crash, and acts out in various ways when she sees black cars. This, and a couple of other things, lead Clara to believe Nick's crash may not have been an accident after all. She goes to the police but when the detective attempts to assure her it was, in fact, an accident and Nick's fault, she doesn't believe him and starts her own investigation.

Clara uncovers some things that could be considered suspicious without knowing the entire story, and it did make me question whether it really was an accident, who could have been involved, and why. The author does throw quite a few possible suspects at us and they all seem plausible.

The ending left a lot to be desired and so many unanswered questions -- the biggest one being: Did Clara ever have to suffer consequences after something happened between her and one of her "suspects?" Some of the answers are implied or insinuated, I suppose, but I wish she would have given us a little more clarity. But other questions are still hanging there at the end.

Like I said, it kept my interest -- and I did read it in one day -- but it's definitely not my favorite Mary Kubica book.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges