Autopsy Results: Son Shot Mother Once, Father More Than Once

Preliminary autopsy results have been released in the case of a Brookville man accused of killing his parents. The report shows that John Reed was shot in the back more than once and Mary Lou Reed was shot in the chest on the morning of March 22 at their home. 44-year-old Richard Reed is charged with two counts each of homicide and aggravated assault and is being held in Jefferson County Jail without bail.
Police say Reed confessed to killing his parents during an argument over his returning to rehab to treat an alcohol problem. Brookville police discovered the bodies Wednesday night after receiving a call from customs agents at the Canadian border in Niagara Falls. Reed's preliminary hearing has been scheduled for April 21.
Funeral services for the Reeds are being held today in Clarion.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I knew Richard Reed and I would have never suspected anything like this. Apparently you never know when someone can morph into a complete monster. His parents were wonderful, kind people and they will be terribly missed by friends and family.
Anne said…
I guess it just goes to show how an addiction can mess up a person's mind. Maybe this will serve as a lesson to others.
Anonymous said…
I too knew Richard Reed. Quite well in fact, although it was about 8 years ago. I worked closely with his parents to get him into rehab the first time (it was either 2000 or 2001), and he walked out after just a couple of days, declaring that he didn't have a problem. That's when I knew he wasn't going to seek help, and I removed myself from his life.

I saw a very ugly side to Richard while I knew him, and attributed it to drinking. However, I never -- in a MILLION years -- would have thought him capable of something this horrible.

I knew his parents too and can assure you that they were some of the most wonderful, sweet, thoughtful people in the world who would have done almost anything for Richard. To call this a tragedy is an incredible understatement. They will be sorely missed.

Popular posts from this blog

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Two Arrested on Drug Charges