One Book Bradford:
'Still Life' is This Year's Selection

By SANDRA RHODES

One Book Bradford’s next selection is sure to be worth every cent – or so the author’s name implies.

“Still Life” by Louise Penny of Quebec, Canada, has been chosen for the upcoming
One Book Bradford season. In its fourth year, One Book Bradford is a community-wide reading initiative in which a book is picked and the community is encouraged to read it. Several activities are held throughout the season, which culminates with a visit from the author.

“I was so pleased and so humbled that you would choose my books,” Penny said. “You know, Emily Dickenson called novels, 'frigates' that allowed us to travel to places we wouldn't normally go.

“Bradford has taken it that glorious extra step, by not only choosing to 'travel' to Quebec, but in spending months reading the series and considering it, you are bridging the considerable divide between Bradford and Quebec. And I am most grateful for that.”

This year, the committee also wanted to challenge the readers and encourage them to read each book in the Three Pines Trilogy, which include “A Fatal Grace” and The Cruelest Month.”

“‘Still Life,’ the first book in her Three Pines Trilogy is the One Book Bradford selection for 2010-2011,” said Pat Shinaberger, committee chairwoman. “The committee is sure that readers will become so attached to the characters that they will want to continue with the rest of the series.”

While “Still Life” is the first book of the trilogy, Penny said it is not necessary to start with that particular book.

“Each book really is written to be self-standing,” she said. “But there's also a very strong character-driven arc through the books that is more meaningful if you get to know the characters slowly from the beginning. But it isn't, as I say, necessary.”

Each year the selection is picked with input from the community as well as the committee.

“This year we are branching out. We have offered fiction and history writers in the past seasons, but never a mystery writer,” Shinaberger said. “Our goal is to build on the base of followers we have established and expand it to include the lovers of masterful mystery.”

Penny herself draws upon some of the best writers in this genre.

“I adore mysteries - particularly the so-called 'golden age'of British mysteries
... Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, Josephine Tey,” she said.“When it came time to write my books I naturally chose a type of book I love and chose to write a book I would read. That would give me pleasure, in the writing and the reading.

Penny, who is a former reporter, said it’s a privilege to write and so something she loves to do. Why does she feel this way?

“Because so many other things have to be settled in my life before I can write. I need to live in a society without bullets and bombs, where my daily life isn't threatened. I need a roof, and food and clean water,” she said. “I need to be among the lucky few - and dwindling - who is functionally literate. And I need to love books. Respect books. And finally, I get to do what gives me genuine and immense pleasure. It isn't always easy, but it is what I was meant to do. Not many people have the very great good fortune to be able to make a living doing what they adore. It annoys and saddens me when I hear some authors complain about the rigors of a literary life, and how hard it is. I wonder if they ever waited tables, or drove a school bus in the winter, or cleaned houses. Or were unemployed. No, I'm under not illusion - I'm blessed. Every day I know it.”

Penny walked away from reporting to focus on the good rather than the bad.

“I got tired of the news - mostly bad news. I got tired believing the world was dangerous, threatening, that people were mean and cruel and stupid and unkind. Because after 25 years of covering disasters, that's what I realized I believed,” she said. “So I set out to discover if that was true. And guess what? It isn't. Bad things happen. But so do wonderful, amazing, glorious things. Some people are mean and cruel, but more people are kind and compassionate. Goodness exists. That's the real news.”

Prior to the author visit, the OBB committee will sponsor several activities related to themes in the books. Possible activities are: a talk on historic crimes in our area; a tour of the newly created crime lab at the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford; an open to the Public Book Club Meeting; a children’s activity featuring juvenile mystery writers. All activities will be free and open to the public.

A mystery tea featuring the characters in the Three Pines series written by a local author is being planned as a fund-raising activity. More information on all the activities will be released when it becomes available.

Without giving away too much of what her books are about, Penny commented on her favorite characters to whet potential readers’ appetite.

“There are a number I love. I actually think of Three Pines, the village, as a character. And I just love it. My ideal community,” she said. “But I'd have to say I really love writing Gamache. Thank God, since the guy's in it so much ... so like a man to hog the spotlight. Ruth's another one that's fun to write ... and a bit of a challenge. So that the demented, drunken old poet doesn't become simply 'quirky' but a woman in full.”

Penny will visit Bradford to talk about these and other characters on May 3.

All OBB authors’ works have been published by major publishing houses. Penny, whose books are published by St. Martin’s Press, will release her sixth book in September. Readers should also be aware that some of Penny’s books have different titles depending upon which country it was printed.

“Our decision to focus on widening the reading base of Bradford was based on the
hope that, if by offering good books and exposure to fine caliber authors to a rural audience eager for this enriching experience, we would contribute to the quality of life for many in this area, Shinaberger said.”

Photo by Ian Crysler

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges