Tri-Athlete with Cerebral Palsy:
Good Things Happen When You Try

By SANDRA RHODES

Marty Gregoire has taken life one step at a time, but his steps are not like most.

The Western New York native was born with cerebral palsy and has not let this slow him down. One big step will be done this week. On Saturday, Gregoire will compete in his first outdoor triathlon. He chose the Willow Creek Triathlon.

“My sister Eileen told me about the Willow Creek Triathlon. She competed in her 100th Triathlon last summer and encouraged me to challenge myself as she often does,” Gregoire said. “Once read about the event and its support for disabled veterans, I knew it was an event I wanted to do.”

The Willow Creek Triathlon is a sprint triathlon that starts in Quaker Lake in Allegany State Park in New York State. Following a 300-yard swim in the lake, participants will bicycle 15 miles to the Corydon Hotel then run three miles to the finish line at the Willows Restaurant.

In the past, Gregoire has done indoor triathlons or “try a tri” which are 15-minute timed segments of swimming, spin biking and tread mill or track running.

“I’m excited and a bit nervous at the same time. This distance will be a challenge for me and I want to perform well to honor the veterans,” he said. Something tells me the atmosphere and emotions of the day will carry me to the finish with a smile.”

The fact that this triathlon helps disabled veterans - specifically the DAVs of McKean and Warren counties - added to its appeal.

“My father served in the Navy at the time of the Korean War. From a young age he instilled in me that at any moment God may compel you to give a gift to someone in Need,” Gregoire said. “Sometimes it's your money, sometimes it's your talents, sometimes it's your reputation, and even sometimes your future. It's not the size of the gift that matters, but the size of the sacrifice.

“I certainly cannot match the sacrifices our veterans have made through their service, but it is both my honor and a privilege to try and use one of my greatest gifts to perhaps meet one of their greatest needs.”

With his cerebral palsy, Gregoire asked just two things from race officials – to use a pull buoy for this swimming portion and a stepstool to help him get on his bike.

A pull buoy is a piece of foam used in swim workouts. Swimmers place the buoy between the legs – between their thighs or their ankles – to provide support to the body without kicking the legs. The buoy provides floatational support for his hips and legs since he is unable to kick while swimming.

“I will use my arms upper body exclusively while swimming,” he said. “This is the only accommodation I asked for for this event, and will only require a small stepstool to assist my getting onto my bike.”

Gregoire explained that with cerebral palsy, the part of a person’s brain that controls body movement constantly send intense messages to the muscles of the body.

“These intense messages are constantly telling the muscles to tighten - making some movements very difficult to control or even do,” he said. “Sometimes this can make even the simplest of tasks like standing or walking almost exhausting or perhaps not even possible.”

So each step is a challenge, but one he embraces.

“Every day many people go from point A to point B without thinking about it. For someone with a physical disability .the challenge of getting from place to place is something they may really have to concentrate on and think about - at times it become exhausting,” Gregoire said. “The gift of my mobility is not lost on me. … I am excited to be able to try my best and give back to veterans who gave so much. It will be an honor to compete on their behalf.

The 38-year-old has taken big steps to help others, too. He founded Footsteps of WNY, non-profit organization that provides charitable assistance to individuals with Cerebral Palsy by directly purchasing orthopedic and therapeutic devices, as well as therapies which are not covered by insurance.

These items may include orthopedic supports, braces, shoe lifts, wheelchairs, walkers, canes, and purposeful exercise equipment among others.

“The goal of Footsteps of WNY is that through this assistance, those with Cerebral Palsy will receive the devices and therapies they may need to improve their mobility and overall quality of life,” he said.

Gregoire credits his family with helping in each step he has taken in life.

“My family has played and still pays a big role in my attitude in life and how I view myself as a person living with cerebral palsy,” Gregoire said. “CP is part of who I am but it doesn't define me as a person or what my dreams are or what I can achieve.

“Growing up, I had ad big dreams and high hopes just like anybody else. It was because I wasn't coddled, that I wasn’t afraid to try. Regardless of your physical ability, nothing takes you further than a positive attitude and a willingness to try. Good things happen when you try.”

Gregoire explained that one in five babies born 2 or more months premature may be diagnosed with cerebral palsy.

“I was born two months early weighing less than 5 lbs. My cerebral palsy is considered mild by medical standards. The fact that I am able to walk independently, play sports and even run, isn’t typical of every person with cerebral palsy. Growing up, I always knew I had cerebral palsy but never considered myself disabled. I had tendon lengthening surgery twice before my 11th birthday and spent many of my days after school at physical therapy.”

Now, he works in human resources at M&T Bank. In his spare time, outside of work and managing the charity, he can usually be found spending time with family and friends, including his racing team.

“My friends and I, Team OMFAA (Often Mistaken for Actual Athletes), try to participate in at least one charity 5K run a month. My biggest accomplishment to date was completing the final 12K leg of the Buffalo Marathon Relay.”

And on Saturday, Gregoire hopes to add Willow Creek Triathlon to his list of accomplishments.

For more information on the triathlon, log onto www.willowcreektriathlon.org. To read more about Gregoire’s charity, go to www.footstepsofwny.org.

Anyone interested in stepping alongside Gregoire on Saturday, there’s still time. Registrations are ongoing and will be taken from 2 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Bradford Family YMCA and starting at 7 a.m. Saturday at Quaker Lake in Allegany State Park.

Participants are capped at 400 so people are encouraged to register soon rather than later.

The news leader of the Twin Tiers ... since 1947

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Good things happen when you try", I wish more people approached life like that!

Popular posts from this blog

Arrests in Operation Diamond Drop

Woman Charged with Posting
Nude Picture on Facebook

Two Arrested on Drug Charges